Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Free Screencasting Tools

Screencasting software allows you to record what you do on your computer screen, including the pages you open, follows you mouse across the screen...anything.  For example, rather than place a static image of my organization's website in a self-paced training and adding arrows and numbers to highlight a series of sequential steps, I recorded in real time the steps it took to navigate from the Homepage through to the hard-to-find page I wanted to show the audience how to find.   

There are a number of tools available to accomplish this.  Two I've been using are Camstudio (I run the portable version off my jump drive), and Jing.  Both are free and fairly simple to use.  

Let me know how well they work for you, or if you are using another screencasting tool that you'd like to recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment